Link to main version

50

Trump called for the complete and immediate disarmament of the Palestinian group Hamas

Khan Yunis hospital rejected allegations of the presence of armed individuals on its territory

Снимка: ЕПА/БГНЕС

US President Donald Trump called for the "complete and immediate" disarmament of the Palestinian group "Hamas" as part of the second phase of the agreement ending the war in the Gaza Strip, Agence France-Presse reported, quoted by BTA.

"It is very important "Hamas" to honor its commitment to complete and immediate disarmament," Trump wrote today on his social network "Truth Social," adding that members of the Peace Council will announce during a meeting in Washington on Thursday next week the allocation of $ 5 billion for the reconstruction of the Palestinian territories.

According to the American president, through the promised funds for the Peace Council, the body will commit to providing "thousands of troops for international peacekeeping forces and local police so that the safety and security of the residents of Gaza can be guaranteed".

"The Peace Council will be the most important international organization in history," Trump added.

In the middle of last month, the United States announced the beginning of the second phase of Trump's plan to end the war in the Gaza Strip. It envisages the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from the enclave, the disarmament of "Hamas" and the deployment of international peacekeeping forces.

The Israeli army still controls more than half of the territory of the strip, while the "Hamas" group categorically refuses to lay down its arms and accept Israel's conditions.

One of the largest still functioning hospitals in the Gaza Strip - "Nasr" in Khan Yunis - rejected the claims of the humanitarian organization "Doctors Without Borders" about the presence of armed individuals on its territory, DPA reported, quoted by BNR.

Earlier last week, "Doctors Without Borders" said that their teams had reported a series of unacceptable actions, including the presence of armed men, threats, arbitrary arrests of patients and a recent case of suspected weapons possession. "These incidents pose a serious threat to the safety of our teams and patients", the organization said, adding that it had had to suspend non-emergency activities at the hospital for this reason.

Nasser Hospital said the allegations were false and threatened the facility. According to the statement, there had been "isolated cases of violence by individuals". Therefore, a civilian police force had been established to protect staff and patients. These are "not military actions, but protective measures", the hospital said.