Link to main version

82

Trump imposes 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court overturns April 2025 tariffs

Congress may block president's authority to strike Iran without his approval

Снимка: ЕПА/БГНЕС

US President Donald Trump wrote on his social network "Truth Social" that he had signed an executive order imposing global tariffs of 10%, which "take effect almost immediately", Reuters and DPA reported.

""It is a great honor for me to sign in the Oval Office a global tariff of 10% on all countries, which take effect almost immediately", Trump wrote in his post on "Truth Social".

A few hours earlier, Trump warned of the measure, saying that the new 10% tariffs would be "in addition to and in addition to our normal tariffs, that we already charge".

Trump stressed that the tariffs would be imposed under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which gives the president the authority to impose temporary trade tariffs to address balance of payments issues.

Trump announced the move after the U.S. Supreme Court earlier on Friday struck down the broad, country-specific tariffs he introduced last April.

The package, which covered dozens of countries, invoked the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that while the law allows the president to regulate foreign trade during a national emergency, it does not allow him to impose tariffs.

The U.S. Supreme Court has taken away President Donald Trump's advantage by ruling to overturn sweeping tariffs imposed under a law designed for emergencies, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Besant said on Tuesday, Reuters reported.

"The U.S. Supreme Court took away the president's advantage, but in some ways it made it more draconian because it agreed that he had the right to a full embargo," Besant said on "The Will Kane Show" on Fox News.

"We're going back to the same level of tariffs for countries. It's just going to be less direct and a little more complicated," Besant said.

Trump responded to the Supreme Court ruling by saying he would invoke other laws to impose tariffs and announced a global 10 percent tariff on imports from all countries.

Besant said she believed every country would honor trade agreements made with the Trump administration over the past year.

The US president met with Vietnamese Communist Party General Secretary Tho Lam and said he would work to remove Hanoi from a list of countries with limited access to advanced American technology, Reuters reported, citing the Vietnamese government's news website.

The first official face-to-face meeting between the two took place at the White House after the leader of the ruling Vietnamese Communist Party attended the first meeting of the Peace Council in Washington.

The meeting followed the signing of a series of deals worth more than $30 billion, under which Vietnamese airlines will buy 90 planes from US manufacturer "Boeing".

Lam's visit to the US is his first since he was re-elected as leader of the Vietnamese Communist Party last month. The Vietnamese communist leader usually starts his overseas trips in China - a nod to the ideological ties between the two countries and to Beijing's role as Vietnam's largest trading partner. Analysts now say Lam's visit to the US before his trip to Beijing this time is a notable change. Lam visited China in August 2024 before leaving for the US during his first term.

Vietnam describes its foreign policy as independent and balanced among major powers. Trade talks between Vietnam and the US are continuing after the Trump administration imposed a 20% tariff on Vietnamese exports. The latest sixth round of talks between Hanoi and Washington ended in early February.

The US Congress is likely to vote as early as next week on whether to block President Donald Trump's authority to strike Iran without his approval, Reuters reported.


Lawmakers, including Trump's fellow Republicans and Democrats, have tried several times, but failed, to pass a resolution that would prevent him from taking military action against foreign governments without congressional approval.

The US Constitution gives Congress, not the president, the authority to send US forces to war, except in limited cases when the head of state can order limited strikes for national security reasons, Reuters reported.

Meanwhile, Trump warned the Iranian government that it "better negotiate a fair deal" after saying earlier today that he was considering a limited military strike against the Islamic Republic.