The US President's special envoy Stephen Witkoff said in an interview with FOX News that the US is insisting that Iran give up uranium enrichment and this is Washington's “red line“ in the negotiations.
“Before we went there, the president gave me and Jared instructions, red lines: no enrichment, we have to remove all the material, he said.
The US President's special envoy said that within a week, Tehran will have enough uranium enriched to the level needed for a nuclear bomb.
Witkoff added that the US president was surprised by Iran's reluctance “to give in, despite pressure“ and US military forces deployed in the Middle East.
On February 17, a second round of nuclear talks between the US and Iran, hosted by Oman, was held in Geneva. The Iranian Foreign Ministry reported reaching mutual understanding on a number of issues, agreements on which could be included in the draft of a future nuclear agreement. Washington said the consultations had gone well, but Tehran was not yet ready to accept several positions outlined by the White House. The parties did not disclose the time and place of the new round of talks. The US and Israel had previously insisted that Iran abandon not only its nuclear program, but also its production of ballistic missiles and its support for pro-Iranian forces in the Middle East.