Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has left for Geneva, where a new round of talks with the United States on Iran's nuclear program will be held on Tuesday with the mediation of Oman.
This was announced by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, quoted by Agence France-Presse and BNR.
Araghchi, who heads a delegation of diplomats and experts, will also meet with the Swiss and Omani foreign ministers, as well as with the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi.
Tehran and Washington held the first round of indirect talks in Oman last Friday, months after the United States bombed Iranian uranium enrichment sites and weeks after a wave of protests, which shook the Islamic Republic.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened Iran with military intervention if Tehran does not agree to limit the development of its nuclear program.
Washington prefers a diplomatic solution to the dispute over the nuclear program with Iran, Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed.
"We are dealing with radical Shiite clerics. With people who make geopolitical decisions based on pure theology. The issue is very complicated. No one has ever successfully reached an agreement with Iran, but we intend to try." said Rubio before indirect negotiations between the American and Iranian sides, which are due to take place the day after tomorrow in Geneva.
In recent weeks, the United States has been concentrating significant forces in the Middle East. A second aircraft carrier is sailing to the region.
Last June, US bombers struck Iranian nuclear sites in a 12-day war.
Iran is seeking a nuclear deal with the United States that would bring economic benefits to both countries, an Iranian diplomat said on Monday, days before the second round of talks between Tehran and Washington, Reuters reported, quoted by BTA.
Iran and the United States resumed talks earlier this month to resolve their decades-old dispute over Tehran's nuclear program and prevent another military confrontation. The United States has sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East and is preparing for the possibility of a prolonged military campaign if talks fail, US officials told Reuters.
"For the agreement to be durable, it is essential that the United States also benefits in areas with high and rapid economic returns," Hamid Ghanbari, deputy director of the Foreign Ministry for Economic Diplomacy, said, according to Fars news agency.
Iran has threatened to retaliate against any US attack, but today a Tehran official took a conciliatory stance, Reuters reported.
"Common interests in oil and gas fields, investment in mining and even the purchase of aircraft are included in the negotiations," Ghanbari said, stressing that the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers had not guaranteed the economic interests of United States.
A source told Reuters on Friday that a US delegation including envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner would meet with Iranian officials in Geneva on Tuesday, a meeting that was later confirmed to Reuters by a senior Iranian official.