Link to main version

49

Tehran: Progress made in nuclear talks with US

Tehran has in the past threatened to close the strait to commercial shipping if it is attacked, a move that would choke off a fifth of the world's oil flows and raise crude prices

Снимка: БГНЕС/ЕРА

Iran and the United States have reached an understanding on basic "guiding principles" in the second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday, but there is still work to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said, quoted by "Reuters".

The progress does not mean a deal will be reached soon, but "we are on the right track," he told Iranian media after the talks ended.

Iranian state media reported earlier that Iran would temporarily close part of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil supply route, while it negotiates over its nuclear program with the United States, which has sent combat forces to the Persian Gulf region to pressure Tehran to make concessions.

US President Donald Trump said "regime change" in Tehran may be the best thing that could happen, while Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any U.S. attempt to overthrow his government would fail.

Just as the Geneva talks began, Iranian state media reported that parts of the strategic strait would be closed for several hours due to "security precautions" while Iran's elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps conducts military exercises there.

Tehran has previously threatened to close the strait to commercial shipping if it is attacked, a move that would choke off a fifth of global oil flows and push up crude prices.

Along with Araghchi, U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were participating in the Geneva talks, which were being brokered by Oman, a source said. "Reuters", familiar with the matter.