US plans to increase economic pressure on Iran do not mean a refusal to resume military operations, US President Donald Trump said, quoted by the AP.
"Absolutely not", the US leader told reporters at the "Andrews" Air Force Base (Maryland), answering the question of whether he ruled out a scenario of continued military action.
Speaking about the reasons that prompted him to prepare economic measures against Tehran, Trump said: "We want to see what this will lead to."
He once again expressed the opinion that Iran is already facing major economic difficulties.
"They want to make a deal, but not the kind that I think is needed," the president added.
Earlier this week, US Treasury Secretary Scott Besant said that the move to economic pressure on Iran means that the US will most likely not resume military action.
Trump, as reported, announced the start of an "economic war" against Iran. He called on US allies to support this initiative and expressed readiness to take measures against countries that continue to support the Iranian economy.
Specific measures in Washington have not yet been announced. Besent is expected to give a press conference on Monday, where he could clarify the situation.