Last news in Fakti

The Mayor of Bistritsa: I have requested security from the District Prosecutor's Office

Popov specified that he has not yet received an answer whether he will be assigned security

Feb 21, 2026 18:00 57

The Mayor of Bistritsa: I have requested security from the District Prosecutor's Office  - 1

The Mayor of the village of Bistritsa Samuil Popov requested security on Friday from the District Prosecutor's Office after the arson of his car and the front door of his house. He said this himself in the program “Offensive“ on Nova News.

Popov specified that he has not yet received an answer whether he will be assigned security.

"When the door was set on fire, I was at home with my family. We went out onto the terrace because there was a lot of smoke in the hallways, which is a threat to life, because if you sleep and don't wake up, you suffocate from the smoke", he commented.

According to him, the attack is related to his work and economic interests. – I have two assumptions – I have been insistently asking where the rents for pavilions in the center of the village of Bistritsa go and I have caused several inspections for the accumulation of earth masses in the village's land," he said.

Popov explained that it is about ten pavilions, which are not large. According to him, what the traders pay as rent is about 400 leva per pavilion, the municipality takes about 170 leva from them, and the difference goes to the intermediary, who is one for all pavilions.

"I asked on what basis he receives rents and does he pay anything to the "Pancharevo" district and the Sofia Municipality. I did not receive an answer then, unless we count the entry of two masked men with clubs. This intermediary is a legal entity. He appeared back in 2009, he has a contract with the "Pancharevo" district for 5 years, which has expired. There is an annex that is being re-signed. After the contract ends, a tender or competition should be held and then they can be given to a new person. Such a tender has not been held so far. A legal entity disposes of the municipal property," he commented.

According to Popov, the accumulation of earth masses in the village may be another probable reason for the attack against him.

He commented that the Regional Inspectorate for Environment and Water has twice drawn up a protocol, in which the presence of accumulations of huge amounts of earth mass and garbage is noted. According to him, the properties and acres are described, and it is prescribed that earth masses should not be accumulated again. There are two protocols of findings and a third is about to be drawn up. "It is entirely possible for 20 trucks to unload a mass of earth in one day", he also said.

When asked whether he would request a meeting with the acting Minister of Environment and Water, Julian Popov, the mayor of the village of Bistritsa said that the meeting with the minister should be not only for better work of the RIEW and subsequent control, but also for ongoing control.

"We need to think in the direction of finding new regulated unloading sites. We need to look for a solution. Not just say you are violators, you should be sanctioned, but give the violator the opportunity to act legally", Popov commented.

He also said that on Monday he is going to go to the Sofia Directorate of the Ministry of Interior, but he has no idea who the detainees are and whether they are the perpetrators.